The balance board is an essential training tool for surfers and snowboards and can help increase your skills!
Don’t have the strength and balance to shred like you want to? Make a custom balance board to help increase your skills. I’ve seen an increase in my ability to make drop-ins and hit the lip that I would once fall. The simulation between the balance board and water is very similar. And not to mention it’s super fun!
See our surfing balance board instruction below and DYI PDF template from 3×3 Customs.
Surfing Balance Board Supplies
Don’ buy a balance board. With prices online and in-stores at over $140.00 US. You can make one for less than $35 bucks! Before you get started you will need to pick up a few items from Lowes or laying around the garage.
- Plywood: 4-in x 2-ft x 4-ft Maple Sanded Plywood -(Lowes) $15.22
- PVC Pipe: Charlotte Pipe 6-in x 2-ft Sewer Main PVC Pipe (Lowes) – $15.37
- Cardboard: Need to design balance board template.
- Saw: Power saw or hand saw to cut the wood.
- Misc.: Tape measurer, magic marker, sander, stickers, paint, Styrofoam
TOTAL PRICE = $30.59 VS. Store Bought = Average Price: $149.00
Surfing Balance Board Steps
Making a surfing balance board is super fun and easy. See the steps below to ensure a successful project.
- Step 1: Get Supplies ( Plywood and PVC pipe)
- Step 2: Design a template on cardboard
- Step 3: Trace your template onto the wood
- Step 4: Cut the wood with a saw, sand, paint, add stickers
- Step 5: SHRED!